This post may contain affiliate links.
Starting a blog can feel overwhelming so anything you do to make things easier on yourself can make a big difference. And, the one thing I found that helped the most was choosing the easiest start up possible.
In this tutorial, I’m going to teach how to start your blog in 15 minutes or less by using a WordPress blog on Bluehost.
It’s simple, it’s fast and it’s cheap…
All good things when you want to launch your blog and get the most bang for your buck. Even better, Bluehost is a great, reliable web host that many bloggers use, so you’ll be in good company.
So, let’s get started.
Your first step is to click here to start a blog on WordPress, then use the tutorial below for the easy directions.
If you’re looking to start a WordPress blog cheap, then choosing Bluehost for your hosting needs may be your answer. They’re one of the top web hosting companies for 2017 and you can start your own blog with them for as little as $3.95 per month.
And, you’ll even get your domain for free if you sign up for a 12 month or longer hosting plan (a $15 value). It’s a great idea to sign up for at least the 12 month plan because the longer you commit to, the cheaper your monthly expenses and the easier it is to get your blog off the ground.
If you want an even better deal, do what I did and choose the 36 month plan, which really brings down the monthly cost.
Do I Really Need to Pay for Hosting?
You may be wondering if you really need to pay for hosting.
You may think maybe you’ll go with a free site.
But, please don’t do that!
Every blogger out there that makes any money at all will tell you that you must pay for hosting if you want to succeed. You’re going to want to be able to make money from affiliates, ads, etc…but if you use a free option, most advertisers and other networks won’t work with you because they don’t see you as a “Real Business.”
That’s why you want to set up your WordPress blog on Bluehost.
Remember your blog is a business. It doesn’t have to cost a lot of money to start but there are some expenses you’re going to have to get comfortable with if you want to make it work.
Paying for your own hosting, like through Bluehost is a MUST. It won’t cost you much, like I said before, just $ 3.95 per month or even less and you can get your domain free.
5 Reasons Why Bluehost is the Choice for You
Here’s why I like Bluehost so much and why I know you will too:Bottom of FormWhyHereH
- It’s super affordable. At just $3.95 per month and a free domain, it really can’t be beat.
- It’s so easy to use. They even offer one click installation of WordPress so you can’t get much easier than that.
- Bluehost offers great customer service and 24/7 technical support that are really easy to work with.
- Being self-hosted shows that you’re a “real business” and you know what you’re doing.
- Bluehost gives you a 30 day Money Back Guarantee – if you’re not completely satisfied, you pay nothing.
OK, so your first step is to click over to Bluehost to get set up. Bluehost is great, and reliable, and you’ll be glad you did. Best of all, in the next 15 minutes or less, you can have your very own blog. How amazing is that!
If you want step-by-step instructions on how to start your WordPress blog on Bluehost, read on below.
How to Start a WordPress Blog on Bluehost
- Register Your Blog’s Domain
The first step is your domain name. That’s what comes after the www…
It’s your name, your brand, and a snapshot of what your readers can expect from your site.
There are a few ways to come up with one. The easiest is to think about who your reader will be, what they need, want and desire and what you can deliver that is unique.
You can get your domain directly through Bluehost and make the whole process very easy. If you do this, you can get a FREE domain for the first year as long as you buy 12 months worth of Bluehost web hosting.
This is a great value since domains can run about $15 so when you think about it, it saves you more than $1 each month of your first year.
If you want an even better value, go for the 36 month plan, to rack up more savings and get your new blog’s expenses down as low as possible. This is what I did and I would do it again.
If you decide to get the free domain, just continue to the next step as you can buy your hosting and get the free domain all in one step.
You can see the different levels offered by Bluehost below.
I suggest you start out with the Basic plan. You can always upgrade in the future if you need to and it’s the cheapest way to get going fast.
- Purchase Hosting
This part is really easy, so stick with me.
Here’s what you need to know about buying hosting with Bluehost.
- Just buy the basic plan. It’s cheaper and you can upgrade later if you need to.
- Take advantage of the free domain with purchase of 12 months or more hosting on Bluehost. It’s much cheaper than going month to month and making that commitment is a great way to motivate yourself to follow through and get to work on your blog.
- If you can, go for the 36 month plan to save even more. With Bluehost, it’s about $60 for 12 months or $99 for 36 months so you get over 18 months free. That’s something I would go for any day of the week.
- Make sure to add Privacy Protection to your site. It’s an extra .99 cents a month and totally worth it since it keeps your information safe and keeps you from answering hundreds of sales calls and getting spammed.
So, here are your next steps to set up your WordPress blog on Bluehost.
- Go to Bluehost and click the “Get Started Now” button.
- Enter your domain name you registered with earlier, or sign up for a new domain name here. (You can even choose your domain name later since Bluehost offers a free credit for a domain when you sign up).
- Choose your package (pick Basic and the number of months you want to sign up for at the best price possible).
- Enter your personal and payment information.
- Enter your password choice.
3. Connect your domain and your hosting.
If you registered your domain with Bluehost, you can skip this step and move on to Step 4. Yea you!
If you bought your domain through another site, like GoDaddy, you’ll now need to connect your domain to Bluehost.
Each domain registrar has different instructions. You can find GoDaddy’s instruction to set your nameservers here.
Here’s a brief tutorial on how to connect a domain at GoDaddy to hosting at Bluehost:
- Log into the GoDaddy.com and click on “Account Manager.”
- Select “Manage Domains” from the Domain Names drop-down menu or under Manage Your Account.
- Select the domain name you wish to modify using the checkboxes and then click “Set Name Servers.”
- Enter your updated name server information in the spaces provided under the blue Name Servers heading on the right side of your page and click “Save Changes”
For Bluehost, you’ll enter: ns1.bluehost.com; ns2.bluehost.com (see screenshot)
Then login to Bluehost and add your domain as a “Add on domain” to your Bluehost web hosting.
To do this, click “Domains” and “Assign”.
- Install WordPress on Bluehost
You’ve made it. You’re so close to having your own blog now. And, really this is the easy part thanks to Bluehost.
You’re now going to install WordPress and Bluehost with just one click.
Here’s what you do:
- Login to Bluehost and click on your cPanel.
- Click the image that says “One Click Install.”
- Click the WordPress icon under “Blogs.”
- Choose your domain from the dropdown menu.
- Under “Advanced Options”, choose a username and password for your new WordPress site. Hint: Make it a tough one to guess since hackers love to go after blogs. A combination of letters and numbers is a good idea. Be sure to save these in a safe place!
- Check “Automatically Create a New Database for This Installation.”
- Click “Install Now.”
That’s it. You did it! You have your own blog.
Your next steps will be to choose a theme design (I use the Genesis Framework by Studiopress with a child theme from Feast Design Company) and start producing some amazing content.
If you need step-by-step help to create a money-making blog, check out Abby Lawson’s Building a Framework course. It will take you from zero to expert fast and has videos that walk you through everything from choosing your niche to affiliate marketing and social media.
I did the course start to finish and it made launching my blog so much easier. In fact, I still go back to the videos when I have questions and I can’t say enough good things about it.
When you get some content on your site, please come back here and post it in the comments so that we can all visit and see your work!
And as always, I wish you a strong family, optimal health and smart incomes.
This post contains affiliate links. For more information, see my disclosures here.